- 2019 - present: Full Professor for Pharmaceutical Technology / Galenics,
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry / Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences (since 2021), University of Bern, Switzerland
- 2015 - 2019: Associate Professor for Phospholipids in Drug Development,
Institute of Pharmacy, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
- 2012 - 2015: Group Leader, Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2009 - 2011: Post-doctoral Researcher, Institute of Pharmaceutical Science, ETH Zurich, Switzerland
- 2006 - 2008: Post-doctoral Fellow, Chemistry Department, University of Florence, Italy
- 2004: Visiting PhD Student, Biomedicine and Biochemical Department, Biomedicum, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- 2002 - 2005: Ph.D. in Chemical Sciences, Chemistry Department, University of Rome “La Sapienza", Italy
- 2002: Laurea (M.Sc.) in Chemical Sciences. Summa cum Laude Chemistry Department, University of Rome "La Sapienza", Italy
- 1996-2002: Undergraduate studies in Chemical Sciences (Biological Chemistry), Chemistry Department, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy
- 2019: Guest editor for special issues on the journals Pharmaceutics and Molecules (MDPI)
- Since 2019: Guest member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Phospholipid Research
- Since 2017: Guest member of the APV Focus Group “Drug Delivery”
- Since 2016: Associate Editor of the journal Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports (Elsevier)
- 2016 - 2019: Faculty member of the Committee for Equal Opportunity, University of Jena, Germany
- 2012 - 2014: Deputy Project Leader of the project “Oral biomarkers for early diagnosis of fibrotic inflammatory bowel disease”, funded by the Swiss Commission for Technology and Innovation (CTI), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zürich, Switzerland
- 2012: Member of the Scientific Committee of the international conference: “Nanomedicine: from molecules to diagnosis and therapy”, Rome, Italy
Prof. Luciani's research is characterized by a multidisciplinary approach aimed at designing and developing lipid-based tools as delivery systems for protein, nucleic acids, drugs. Her research interests include also polymer- and peptide-based contrast agents for fluorescence functional imaging in inflammation and cancer.
Her research group is currently working on novel multimodal diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for fibrotic diseases, with a special focus on the molecular mechanisms and the intercellular communication underlying the oral administration of antifibrotic formulations. Additionally, the Luciani group is exploring new technologies in the field of site-specific sustained release, working actively on the development of novel manufacturing processes for lipid-based depots as an alternative to current technologies for hydrophilic drugs and biomacromolecules.
Publications recorded in BORIS (Bern Open Repository and Information System):
Alijaj, Nagjie; Moutel, Sandrine; Gouveia, Zelia L; Gray, Maxim; Roveri, Maurizio; Dzhumashev, Dzhangar; Weber, Florian; Meier, Gianmarco; Luciani, Paola; Rössler, Jochen K.; Schäfer, Beat W; Perez, Franck; Bernasconi, Michele (2020). Novel FGFR4-Targeting Single-Domain Antibodies for Multiple Targeted Therapies against Rhabdomyosarcoma. Cancers, 12(11) MDPI AG 10.3390/cancers12113313
Rahnfeld, Lisa; Luciani, Paola (2020). Injectable Lipid-Based Depot Formulations: Where Do We Stand? Pharmaceutics, 12(6), p. 567. MDPI 10.3390/pharmaceutics12060567
Weber, Florian; Rahnfeld, Lisa; Luciani, Paola (2020). Analytical profiling and stability evaluation of liposomal drug delivery systems: a rapid UHPLC-CAD-based approach for phospholipids in research and quality control. Talanta, 220, p. 121320. Elsevier 10.1016/j.talanta.2020.121320
Zivko, Cristina; Fuhrmann, Gregor; Luciani, Paola (2020). Liver-derived extracellular vesicles: A cell by cell overview to isolation and characterization practices. Biochimica et biophysica acta (BBA) - general subjects, 1865(4), p. 129559. Elsevier 10.1016/j.bbagen.2020.129559
Valentino, Gina; Zivko, Cristina; Weber, Florian; Brülisauer, Lorine; Luciani, Paola (2019). Synergy of Phospholipid—Drug Formulations Significantly Deactivates Profibrogenic Human Hepatic Stellate Cells. Pharmaceutics, 11(12) MDPI 10.3390/pharmaceutics11120676
Sutter, Damian; Dzhonova, Dzhuliya V.; Prost, Jean-Christophe; Bovet, Cedric; Banz, Yara; Rahnfeld, Lisa; Leroux, Jean-Christophe; Rieben, Robert; Vögelin, Esther; Plock, Jan A.; Luciani, Paola; Taddeo, Adriano; Schnider, Jonas T. (2019). Delivery of Rapamycin Using In Situ Forming Implants Promotes Immunoregulation and Vascularized Composite Allograft Survival. Scientific reports, 9(1), p. 9269. Springer Nature 10.1038/s41598-019-45759-y
- Phospholipid Research Center
- CRS Local Chapter Germany
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Pharmazeutische Verfahrenstechnik (APV)
- Swiss Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Swiss Chemical Society
- Biochemische Vereinigung Bern
- Controlled Release Society
We welcome applications from excellent and enthusiastic students, PhD students and postdocs to join the Luciani Group! We offer brand new labs fully equipped, a motivated group of young scientists, a pleasant working atmosphere, research topics in pharmaceutical technology and drug delivery at the crossroad with Chemistry, Biology and Medicine.
Applications should be sent by e-mail to Prof. Paola Luciani, and should include a letter describing the research interests and motivation, a resumé, a copy of their study certificates, the names and contact information (address, email address, and phone number) of at least two reference persons, and relevant publications.
Vacancies are regularly posted on the research group's website: